Monday, February 7, 2011

Lean On Me


Mr. Joe Clark freaks me out.

East Side High gives me the creeps.

The students scare the nuts out of me.


Honestly, I don’t quite like the movie. It left me feeling very disturbed. There was so much screaming and shouting I had trouble watching it with a peace of mind. I’ve always thought of Morgan Freeman as a wonderful actor. I still do. But with this movie, I found it especially hard to like the character he played. He was a generally nice person on a personal level as Joe Clark. However, he was a really rude and demanding principal. I can’t help but to think of quitting myself if I’d ever come across a principal like him. Once in my primary school, I had a teacher whose character was similar to his; only she was more violent. I remember the days where she would pinch students in their stomach is they never complete their work and slaps their face with their workbook. It’s funny how complaining about her never too place.

That aside, there are still a few things that hit me hard as a future teacher. First, the determination and courage to take on the law and the community who stands against the school and the principal. I admire Joe Clark’s will power to resurrect East Side High despite all attacks. However, I disagree with his way of running the school. I personally feel that all students deserve second chances, even if he or she is a bad egg. I also don’t see a need to be so uptight with the teachers. They are after all working their butts off for the job already. I believe however, that teachers and the principal should have better rapport to cooperate more efficiently. But for a domineering man like Joe Clark, that proved rather hard in the beginning.

Although this movie is based on a true story, it seemed to be more unrealistic than any other movies of the same genre. It is hard to believe that one man can make such a big difference. It is even harder to believe it was done all within a year. Nevertheless, it sure gave me a glimpse of hope that comes with the comfort knowing that as teachers, we are surely capable of impacting lives and turning them around.

Every teacher can make a difference. You just got to believe it..hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

blablabla