Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Old McDonald had a farm…no?

This is the story of the pigs. Once upon a time, there were three little pigs. They were red, white and black. Okay. I’m kidding.


This is not the story of the pigs, but about a farm led by the pigs.

All animals are equal; but some are more equal than others.


Of all lines in the novel, this is the one that left the most impact. Coming from pigs, the line is supposedly unintelligible. No? That’s where I was wrong. These are smart pigs we have read about. The novel alludes heavily to the political situation in England at that particular time and is therefore, a political satire meant at mocking the government at that particular time. I have never been a fan of politics so yes, this novel took me a week to complete. Though very political, this novel nevertheless brings forward important messages. For instance, the issue of corruption. Here the novel is a tale of how power corrupts, and human nature eventually leads to corruption and bloodshed in the search for greater personal wealth.

Personally, I find this a rather tough read. In my reading for pleasure, I rarely take up something with a message so heavy and so serious. So to review and reflect on the novel…well, I’d just say I’d perhaps need more time to learn to appreciate works like this. Nevertheless, it’s one witty novel and George Orwell did a good job in this masterpiece of allusion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

blablabla